The War Memorial

war-memorial

The memorial to the 7 men of Burghwallis who fell in the Great War of 1914-18 is a Runic Cross constructed in Portland stone, which was originally inscribed on the West Face.  The memorial was dedicated to their memory and unveiled by Sir Alington Bewicke-Copley C.B.,K.B.R., in the presence of Major Anne of Burghwallis Hall and attending villagers on Saturday 15th April 1922 at 3:33 in the afternoon.  The inscription on the North Face, added later, is in memory of the 3 men who lost their lives in the second world war of 1939-45.

In 2012 the Parish Council renovated the area by laying a new York stone floor and adding two stone troughs with floral displays. The War Memorial site is kindly maintained by volunteers from the village.

See details of the seven men remembered on the memorial

Great news! The Burghwallis War Memorial, Old Village Street was awarded listed building status on the 6th May 2015 by Historic England. The structure was added to the statutory list of buildings of special architectural and historic interest at Grade II.
The reasons given are:
• Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the First World War.
• Design: as a well-executed Celtic wheel cross design in Portland stone inscribed with interwoven Celtic pattern and set on a tall rectangular shaft, standing on a raised, enclosed platform to create a distinct contemplative area

Confirmation has been received from Historic England informing us that they have taken into account all the representations made, and completed their assessment of the memorial. They have said that “I am pleased to inform you that having considered our recommendation, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport as from the 6 May 2015 it has been decided to add Burghwallis War Memorial to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.  The structure was added to the statutory list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest at Grade II. The reasons given are:

  • Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20
  • Design: as a well-executed Celtic wheel cross design in Portland stone inscribed with interwoven Celtic pattern and set on a tall rectangular shaft, standing on a raised, enclosed platform to create a distinct contemplative area

The memorial is now listed at Grade II. The List entry for this building, together with a map, has now been published on the National Heritage List for England, and is now available for public access. This list can be accessed through our website”.

© Burghwallis Parish Council 2017