The Poor’s Field

Poor's Field

Donated by the Anne family in 1649, the Poor’s Field can be found on the left hand side at the brow of the hill on Burghwallis Lane going towards Sutton.

The ‘Poor’s Field’ charity originally provided for the poor of the village and to help any parishioner who should fall on hard times.  It generally provides a Christmas dinner in the Burghwallis (when funds are available) for all parishioners of pensionable age.

© Burghwallis Parish Council 2017