‘History of Doncaster’ Edward Miller 1804
This village and estate has belonged to the family of Anne for several generations. The late George Anne, Esq., about seven years ago, built a handsome mansion here, in which resides at present, his brother and heir, Michael Anne, Esq. This family is of the Roman Catholic persuasion, and have a chapel annexed to the house, where a priest, resident in the town, performs divine service.
Byt eh last survey, the parish of Burghwallis contains 176 inhabitants, 1565 acres of land, as per regular survey, 562 grass, 800 arable, 203 waste, of which 28 are highways, 600 grain, 200 fallow. The cultivation on the limestone part, is the same as at Campsall.’ [Note below]
The perpetual advowson of this living is the property of the present rector, Rev. Andrew Ewbank, M.A. of Londesborough.
Monuments – One dated 1701, for the Rev. Nathaniel Sutton, rector of Burghwallis. Another for Mr. Joseph Till, of Skellow Grange, and several grave stones for the Ann’s family, of very ancient date.
To the memory of FRANCIS, the wife of the Rev. THOMAS SAWYER PARRIS, M.A. Chaplain to the most noble the Marquis of Stafford, Rector of Edlington, and curate of Burghwallis.
She was the only daughter and last surviving issue of Edward Gower, Esq. late of Wosborough, of the family Of the Gowers, of Stitenham, in this county, And of the house of Trentham, in Staffordshire.
She died July 1, 1803, anno aetatis 54.
Donation – William Huscroft, late of Blacker Green, left to the poor of Burghwallis for ever, an acre and a half of arable land in Sutton fields, and the interest of five pounds.
The part of the parish register that is legible, commence in the year 1597. There is one page previous to this date illegible.
Note. Campsall – rotation of crops – ‘After the first fallow, barley, and clover; 2d, wheat. After the second fallow, turnips; 2d, barley, and sometimes clover; 3d, wheat. The usual manure is stable dung, about ten common cart loads to an acre. The soil is well calculated for sainfoin, the cultivation of which plant, the farmer would find to answer his purpose.’