The Parish Council is committed to maintaining and enhancing the character of the village and environs as laid down in the Burghwallis Neighbourhood Plan.
We are rightly proud of our village as a semi-rural community with its rich history. This is demonstrated by the number and quality of the built environment elements, historic sites and the status of part of the village as a Conservation Area.
The Parish Council is continually working to ensure this situation remains the norm. We are open to any comments and suggestions from residents and visitors that will help us to achieve this. Please speak directly to any member of the Council, or send us a message via the website, or attend any of our meetings (8/9 per year) held in the Burghwallis pub. In addition to “regular” meetings we have an Annual Meeting to report on the significant events of the past year, our plans for the next year, and to listen to any comments or suggestions from the public. The dates of all meetings are advertised on the village notice board.
The main areas of focus are:
- Routine liaison with DMBC ‘Street Scene’, ‘Highways Department’ and local volunteers to help maintain roadways, road marking, hedgerows and paths.
- Planting of shrubs and bulbs to restore and enhance roadside environments
- Maintain the Playing Field for the enjoyment of all
- Upkeep of all historic sites including the Poor’s Field.
- Encouragement and support for the village Church, Pub and Squirrel Wood Scout Camp as community focal points
- Liaise with DMBC and South Yorks Transport Executive to maintain the bus services through the village when the current trial period ends in September 2018
- Lobby broadband suppliers to improve connectivity to exceed central government’s minimum line speed of 10 mbs.
We hope that residents and visitors will appreciate and assist our efforts in achieving these goals.
The councils priority is to maintain a close liaison with the members of the parish reacting as closely as possible to their needs. In order to achieve this the council will call regular village meetings to canvas views – all residents of the Burghwallis Parish are encouraged to attend or contact the council members via this website.
WE WOULD LIKE TO REASSURE YOU THAT THE IMMINENT priority for the Parish Council is the Neighbourhood Plan; our priority is to make sure that we maintain and improve our village and also to address all of your comments on the recent questionnaire.
Neighbourhood Plan – Is to ensure the Parish of Burghwallis obtains the maximum benefit from the recent legislation by the Government (Localism Bill), with the production of a Neighbourhood Plan.