Following an agreement with Margaret Burns, local historian, we are very pleased to announce we are able to republish further details of the local history of Burghwallis originally appearing on Margaret’s website www.burghwallis.com
These articles will be added from time to time and as a taster we have now included the history of the Burghwallis pub from 1911 onwards.
The first planning application to erect the Village club at Burghwallis was made on the 4th of November 1911 by Major Anne of Burghwallis Hall and C. Edward Anne, architect. This was approved. Another application was made in 1913, this time by Major Anne with with E. Holmes, architect, which was also approved, but no club appears to been built this time. The full article can be seen in the link below;