One of the key objectives of the neighbourhood plan is to protect the layout and appearance of the village. This is not to freeze the village in time, more to ensure that key buildings and structures are protected from any future strident development.
As part of this policy the parish council recently gained listed status for the war memorial. The National Heritage List for England now recognises the memorial as a grade II structure of Special Architectural or Historical Interest.
Here comes the official stuff:-
List entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Burghwallis War Memorial
List entry Number: 1423373
Location Grange Lane, Burghwallis, Doncaster, South Yorkshire Old Village Street, Burghwallis, Doncaster, South Yorkshire The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County District District Type Parish Doncaster Metropolitan Authority Burghwallis National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 06-May-2015
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Asset Groupings ; This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description Summary of Building War memorial commemorating the First World War and the Second World War. 1922, designer unknown. Portland stone. Limestone enclosing walls.
Reasons for Designation
Burghwallis War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as a well-executed Celtic wheel cross designed in Portland stone inscribed with interwoven Celtic pattern and set on a tall rectangular shaft, standing on a raised, enclosed platform to create a distinct contemplative area.
History The war memorial was erected to commemorate the seven men of Burghwallis who died fighting in the First World War. The designer is not known. It was unveiled at a dedication ceremony on 15th April 1922 by Sir Alington Bewicke-Copley C.B., K.B.R. in the presence of the villagers and Major Anne of Burghwallis Hall. The memorial commemorated Major Anne’s son, Crathorne Anne, who was in the Royal Flying Corps, George Atkinson of the Labour Corps, Alfred Drake who was in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, and Joseph Duggan, Arthur Sales, Harold, Scurrah, and Robert Trenham, all in the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Subsequently three Second World War casualties were added to the memorial.; Robert Anne who was in the RAF, Cyril Grant of the K.O.Y.L.I., and Michael McLaughlin of the Merchant Navy.
In 2012 the area was renovated with new York stone flags and two stone troughs for flower displays were added.
Details War memorial commemorating the First World War and the Second World War. 1922, designer unknown. Portland stone. Limestone enclosing walls.
Celtic wheel cross set on a slightly tapering, tall rectangular shaft standing on a two-stepped plinth. Cross stands on a roughly triangular, raised platform at a fork in the road with enclosing walls adjacent to the two roads and a gateway and steps at the apex.
The war memorial has a stepped plinth and rectangular shaft constructed of Portland stone with a heavily tooled surface. The Celtic wheel cross is set on a rectangular, tooled plinth on top of the shaft. The front face of the cross is smoother and inscribed with interwoven Celtic patterns. The sides and back are more heavily tooled. The rectangular shaft has two smoother panels set into the tooled front face with a dedication and a list of names in applied lead lettering. The top panel has the dedication ‘TO / THE GLORY OF GOD AND / THE EVERLASTING HONOUR / OF THE MEN OF / BURGHWALLIS / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914-1918’. The lower panel names the men and the military units in which they served. The left side elevation of the shaft has a single tall, smoother panel with a Second World War dedication and list of names in applied lead lettering. The enclosing walls flanking Old Village Street and Grange Lane are of roughly coursed limestone with shaped coping stones and curve round to either side of the gateway to form planters. The double, metal gates have roundels with poppies. On the east side of the platform is a timber flagpole.
Selected Sources Websites War Memorials Archive, Burghwallis, Ref: 27840, accessed 17 April 2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27840?utm_source=ukniwm&utm_medium=rw&utm_campaign=wmalaunch
National Grid Reference: SE533531183
Listing helps us to mark a building or structure’s significance and celebrate its special architectural and historic interest. It brings specific protection so that its special interest can be properly considered in managing its future. Listing does not mean, however, that no alterations can be made – in fact in the vast majority of cases applications to make changes to a listed building are approved. Further information about listed buildings can be found on the ‘Your Home’ pages of our website.